Thursday, January 29, 2009

Best friends

I was just talking with a friend last night about how nice it is to marry your best friend. To have a marriage in which you really enjoy one another -- love just hanging out together, talking and laughing about everything. We were comparing how I married a guy who had been my best friend for years and years, and how her husband became her best friend after the wedding because they married in only 3 months' time. Either way, it's a sweet deal.

I wouldn't trade the history that my husband and I have together for the world. We grew up together. I fell for him in 4th grade. Samson...it took him a few more years to notice me. Three, to be exact. He's the only guy I've ever dated. Samson didn't technically date anyone else, but he did have one girlfriend before me. I feel OK about that though, because she's one of our dearest friends, and the whole thing lasted less than one week. :-) Jen, just think what Brent and I would have missed if you guys hadn't gotten that straightened out??! :-)

The one downside to having been together that long is our mutual failure to be able to remember our first date. Yep. No clue. Either one of us. We think we probably went to Davanni's because that was our favorite restaurant, but we can't actually remember it. We have a picture of us standing out in my parent's driveway in front of Samson's electric blue Ford Escort GT all ready to GO on our first date...but that's where the story ends. Maybe one of our moms remembers??

Anyway, I can tell you how we "got together." (Samson hates this. I think it's a guy thing. It makes him blush or something, I don't know.) Our families took a camping trip together to Florida one year after Christmas. Since we're both only children, we spent the whole vacation hanging out together. One evening we went for a walk and he reached over and held my hand. That's how it all started. I don't think that counts as our first date though because I was only 13, and I wasn't allowed to "date" until I was 16. (What's really sweet is that Samson is 3 years older than me, and he waited for me to turn 16. So, he didn't actually start "dating" until he was 19!)

I love to hear people's love stories. So, tell me...how did you and your spouse meet and what was your first date?

7 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Mark and I met ONE TIME during the summer of 1999. I was lifeguarding at Timber-Lee and a student at UWW. Mark was a Bethel Grad and working as a youth pastor already 3 1/2 hours from where I lived. We wrote letters (on paper) back and forth for a few months after we met. He finally asked me to drive to Madison, WI for a state football game. (Remember, we only met once!) My mom gave her approval (only because he was a PASTOR) for me to drive and met him at the game.

I paid for my own ticket! (He was already inside the game.) We drove my car to his home. (He drove to the game with the youth group parents.) I paid for our dinner (at DQ) because he told me to order while he ran to the bathroom. (Hhhmmm, our "first date" was a youth group event.)

I should have known that at that moment.....youth pastors have NO MONEY! :) Well, love is blind!

Kristi said...

I love your story, D--wow--to have met your husband when you're children. That's so cool. Sigh . . . I'll save my story for another time.

Anonymous said...

It is fun being married to your bestie isn't it. Having everything all rolled into one person.

Karin said...

Growing up, whenever I thought about marriage, I knew I'd want to marry someone who was already my best friend. But then in college I was best friends with a guy I knew I wouldn't ever marry. So that was too bad. His name was Ken, he was in all my classes, we hung out all the time... oh well.

It's funny -- I did end up marrying a guy named Ken.

And it was the same Ken I was best friends with in college... : )

So, anyway, we met the 3 day of our freshman year of college -- him and his roommates sat in the pew behind me and mine for a mandatory chapel service.

And then we didn't start dating until second semester of our senior year.

Can't recall right now what our first date was. I'll have to ask him tonight if he does...

P.S. I love hearing people's love stories too!!!

the j-crew said...

I'm very intrigued to know how you met now Kristi. Sounds like there might be a story there!

Having grown up in a small town and in the same class most years, Wayne and I have known each other our whole life. We became the best of friends as juniors in high school. One day we decided we should discuss taking our friendship to the ever so important boyfriend/girlfriend stage. True to both of our logical personalities, we met to discuss the pros and cons of becoming a couple. Hey, you all have your romance, this was ours. :)
We "took a break" for about a year in college but actually remained friends even then. Including all the dating/engagement/marriage time, we've been together for almost 20 years! I can't imagine my life without him. He grounds me and allows me to soar all at once. He's loved me through all stages of hair dos, pant sizes, nice days, bad days, crying days, crazy days and everyday.
Thanks for letting me remember D. :)

Bruce Kratky said...

I will have more to say later. Right now I have to watch out for your "Old Man" as he is fixing the front door to my Merry Maids office. The guy can milk a job with idle conversation better than anyone I've ever met except myself. It is a Bohemian trait that he and I both have to the highest order.

Anyway, Mr. Mike K. has told me about your blog and I will be reading it shortly. I have made you part of my "favorites" list.

My blog, which is intended for my high school men's small group Bible Study is www.faithchallenge.blogspot.com. Have a look.

Love, Mr. B.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Bruce!!!

Wow! I haven't talked to you in FOREVER! I hope everything with you and Kristy is going well. I will definitely check out your blog -- I love finding new places to visit! Good luck with my Dad -- he could talk the hind end off a horse...then again, so could I! I love him for it! :-)