For one thing, I try to avoid pain whenever possible. I had one child by natural childbirth, and only because I had a temporary lapse in sanity. The next time around, I requested an epidural about ½-way through my labor. When the anesthesiologist had placed my line, I turned to him and said, “You are a blessed man.” He just chuckled. By the time I got to my third child, I walked into the labor unit (only dilated to 3 cm) and calmly told the nurse, “I want an epidural.” She glanced at me and said, “OK, honey, you just let me know when the time comes.” I said, “No, you don’t understand. I want one now…BEFORE the pain starts.” She timidly countered, “We’ll have to call the anesthesiologist in from home, it’s the middle of the night.” I replied, “Yep, I know. Spit-spot!” (or something to that effect). It was wonderful – I had a baby with barely a twinge of discomfort! Needless to say, I’m not about to voluntarily sign up for pain.
Second, tattoos are permanent. Very permanent. “I’m-going-to-be-97-years-old-and-still-have-this-thing” kind of permanent. There are only 2 things in my life that I want that permanent, folks: my marriage and my hair color. I’m just sayin’…
For some reason, the last thing that people expect when they hear “Harley rider” is a tattoo-free, no-body-piercings, happily married, rather bubbly, 32-year-old, stay-at-home mother of four children. I don’t get it. In my mind, the stay-at-home mother of four children part ought to be self-explanatory.
Can you say F-R-E-E-D-O-M???
I guess I’ve been a sucker for motorcycles ever since my boyfriend pulled up in my parent’s driveway when I was 18 years old and took me for my first ride. (My parents threatened to shoot him if he tried to do it before I turned 18.) I must have really enjoyed myself because I married him the first chance I got. My father-in-law got his first Harley-Davidson when I was in college (he wasn’t my father-in-law quite yet). I was with him when he picked it up from the warehouse – shipped in all the way from Germany. I was the first person he took for a ride. That baby rumbled so loud I thought I was going to lose a filling. Priceless. That bike is now my husband’s, and we love riding it together.
I got my own bike 2 years ago. A Harley Sportster. I’ve never had so much fun in my life. I can’t wait until all our kids are old enough to ride on the back of our bikes. Me, my husband, my mother-in-law and my father-in-law each with a kid on the back, and my parents together on their Goldwing. Road trip!!! Throw our motorcycle-riding aunt, uncle and cousin in the mix and we could hold our own Sturgis! I love our family!
I may not fit the image most people have in their head, but I am definitely a Harley girl.
Live to ride, ride to live.
10 comments:
You are hilarious.
Maybe by the time your kids are old enough to ride on the back Ronnie and I will have our Harley and we can ride with your family, too.
Bring it on! The more the merrier!
I had a guy pick me up on one and I HATED the entire evening! I KNEW that I would HAVE to hold on to him the whole trip. YUCKY!!! :)
With that said....my mom loved bikes. My brother rides and many of my other relatives do too. I even have an aunt that works for Harley. That's why you'll see our kids in H.D. clothes. Gracie had a little leather dress that was way-to-cute with her leather boots!
I hear you on the tattoo issue. I change my mind soooooo often that I could never do it. My mom actually had her eyeliner tattooed on her eyes. She was a wild one. Although, the body piercing is another topic. :) Everyone knows that I have a few and I would get a few more. :) Except, I want Mark to keep his job! :)
Jenny - I remember that little dress and boots of Gracie's! Waaaay too cute!!
I don't think Mark's in any danger of losing his job - you could always claim that it helps you "relate" to the kids. You gotta be relevant, right? :-)
Body piercing just holds absolutely NO appeal to me whatsoever. God was in a very funny mood the day He made me: I'm an anal retentive stick-in-the-mud most of the time, but I like H-D's...I like H-D's, but have no interest in tattoos or body piercing...I'm a girl, but I like Star Trek and I hate shopping...I could go on, but you get the general drift! :-)
Ooh, I was just drooling reading this post, Dee! I too dated a guy with a bike -- but I did not marry him, which is a good thing, except I do miss the bike! : )
I remember last summer/early fall, I was heading down to the school Heidi would soon be attending for something or other and was passed by a woman riding a Harley. And I remember thinking "Wouldn't it be nice to be getting to this school function on THAT..." And then that woman on the bike preceded me all the way to the school! And she turned down a different street to park before I could really see her face under her helmet... but I'm pretty sure it was you!
P.S. My word verification for this comment is "watstash" -- too funny, considering who is commenting. Me? Stash? "W[h]at stash"? : )
Karin, you're so funny! If I ever get a seat on the back of my bike, I'll make sure to give you a ride! Or better yet, you could go get your endorsement and then we can ride to school events together!! :-)
Solution on the tatoo situation D, tatoo your marriage date in the same color as your hair color then you can have THREE permanent things! :)
We love to hear the roar of your bikes too. Especially your cousins ripped out mufflers! :)
I too am a sucker for motorcycles. My dad taught me to drive his. I am still working on it, it takes forever to get it down when you only do it once every other month. Someday I do want my own, but I like the old vintage bikes.
J-
I know! I'm waiting for someone in our neighborhood to call the police for noise disturbance when he roars in!!
Nice solution on the tattoo dilema, but I'm still not bitin'. :-)
Diane-
I didn't know you could ride! Practice up, girl, we'll take a spin together! An old vintage bike would be a lot of fun.
I will practice as much as I can so that this summer we can go on an adventure! How fun would that be?!
Post a Comment