Yesterday, my 3 year old found a ladybug crawling around on our kitchen floor (how in the world do those things survive into JANUARY???) She picked it up and stood in the middle of the kitchen watching in rapt attention while it crawled all over her hand and arm. She talked softly and tenderly to it. Then, all of the sudden, it popped out its little wings and flew a few feet. She let out a surprised little gasp and whispered, "He flies!" The bug landed under a chair, and she laid down on her little tummy with her chin resting on her hands and just watched it, completely fascinated, for a few minutes.
She finally picked it up and brought it over to the counter where I was standing. "Look at my little ladybug," she said, "He loves me." Then she gently kissed him on the back. I had been watching this whole ordeal quietly, thinking how cute and sweet it was, but at that point I felt I had to say something. "I like your ladybug," I said, "But you can't kiss him - ladybugs have germs." I had her set it on the counter and wash her hands (thoroughly!) for lunch. It still hadn't moved by the time she was done with lunch. I think she played it to death. I explained to her that her ladybug died, and we put him in the garbage. She was sad.
Today, she and her sister found another ladybug (where do these things COME from?!?) "Mommy look!" she said. "My ladybug came back alive!" *Great!* They played with it for awhile, and then my 5 year old told me, "I had to throw him away, Mom. She squished him under her chair by accident." Oops. So goes the life of a bug, I guess!
Complete change of subject: while my husband's cousins were here for Christmas we played a game called "Bananagrams" - it's kind of like free form Scrabble. The tiles were just laying on the counter one morning and the kids were playing with them making their names and different words. I just could NOT resist the urge -- does a big pile of letter tiles make anyone else just REALLY want to do this?
Spelling verification, anyone? :-)
2 comments:
You're a hoot, Dee!!
I found one of those stinkers crawling around just yesterday too! Yeah, how DO they survive?!?
And your spelling verification request made me wonder if I'd followed through with the "purging" part after going through my box of sheet music a few months ago. Among other things (including a book titled How To Play The Ukelele?!?) I had the sheet music book for all the Mary Poppins songs. With you or Jenny around, I probably would've pitched the whole box. As it is, I did manage to throw out about half of it, including the Mary Poppins book.
But who needs a dusty, ripped sheet music book when you (inexplicably) memorized the spelling of this word when you were eight or so? I think it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Since you asked. : )
I wondered about that "e"! Thanks, Karin - you're the best! :-)
Post a Comment