I have made one resolution for the coming year -- I'm going to read all the way through the Bible. My mother-in-law reads all the way through the Bible every other year. This year is one of her "on" years, so she'll be reading through again and she encouraged me to join her. I think my mom is going to do it with us as well. I'm through Genesis 17 so far, and I'm really getting a lot out of it. It's amazing how God speaks in fresh ways even through passages that I've read a bunch of times before.
I'm yearning for more intimacy in my relationship with Him. This year, I really want to strive toward knowing HIM more...not just knowing more about Him. I'm purposely searching for that as I read. This sounds so basic, but I'm amazed how naturally worship flows out of my heart when I really look for His identity and character in a passage of Scripture, instead of just cramming facts into my head.
I want to be fully His -- not just partially, not half-heartedly. I want Him to be able to look at me and say, "She's mine, and everything about her looks like it." I know that kind of devotion only comes from knowing Him more. So...that's the goal. Pray for me if you think of it! :-)
How about you? Any goals for this year?
3 comments:
I love that idea. Mark has done it a few times. We tried doing it together and it didn't work very well for us. It became a "chore" when we would get behind. So, we like reading the Bible in TWO years. That we can handle! :)
We are reading with you as well. I am amazed at how it is changing our life style to fit it in and do it together. All for the better of course. Condensing our life down to the basics seems to bring everything into balance rather than discord. And no guilt, imagine that!
We're doing the same thing over here. Ken said he wants to do that starting this year -- but the two year plan. He's reading "chronologically" and was surprised to find Job after Genesis!
Since I started in the middle of the Bible after the mission trip I went on in June, I'm planning to keep going this year, though I fell a little behind and so am still finishing up Revelation, Minor Prophets, and the end of Psalms and Proverbs right now. Though, I'm considering doing what my aunt recently told me about -- she got a list of all the books with all their chapters. When she'd read a chapter, she'd cross it off. So she didn't have to go "in order" or read a "set" amount every day, but she could visually see how much she had read.
Let's be sure to check with each other as the year continues...
Post a Comment