Monday, February 2, 2009

Random interactions

My children crack me up. Pretty much everyday. I have this little journal that I use to write down the funny things that they say -- I bet I only end up recording maybe 20% of them because it's just so constant. There are a couple bouncing around in my head that I keep forgetting to write down, so I thought I'd finally record them here instead and share the entertainment.

Conversation #1
(background: last summer our son came home one day suddenly referring to a...rather delicate...part of his anatomy as "nuggets." He had heard the term from a neighbor kid and thought it was hilarious. After we wiped the smirks off our faces, we told him that was a rather crude term that we would prefer he not use, and informed him of the proper terminology. Problem solved.
*yeah, right*)

Son: (as we sit eating lunch) "Dad, why does 'chicken nuggets' end in a bad word?"

Dad: (after a moment of puzzled contemplation and then amused realization) "It doesn't. 'Nuggets' isn't a bad word, it's just not a very appropriate way to refer to your...self."

Son: "Dad, what am I s'posed to call 'em again?"

Dad: (trying to ignore the not-so-well-suppressed chuckles from mom's end of the table) "Testicles, son. They're called testicles. And this really isn't an appropriate topic to be discussing around your sisters anyway."

Daughter #1: (with a look of combined curiosity and disgust) "What are we talking about? His testimonies?"


Conversation #2:
(background: Daughter #1 takes piano lessons. She had not practiced anywhere near as much as she should last week, and when she had practiced, mom had not provided as much help/supervision as usual. The night before piano lessons, it became clear that she was totally unprepared, so I jotted a little note in her practice notebook apologizing for the lack of preparation and stating that she may need another week yet on the same songs.)

Daughter: (gleefully skipping down the stairs after her lesson) "Mom, she gave me all new songs for this week!"

Mom: (trying not to show the mounting frustration she feels from what now promises to be a week with double the work to do) "She gave you more songs in addition to the ones from this week?"

Daughter: "Yeah! I played the ones for her from this week and she gave me stickers for them!"

Mom: "Did you play them well?"

Daughter: (grin wrapping clear around her head) "Yep!"

Mom: (now completely incredulous) "How is that possible? You could barely even get through them at home!"

Daughter: (suddenly morphing into a 14 year old) "She's a better teacher than you, Mom."


Conversation #3:
(background: you know those little bumps that you have on the inside of your cheeks, right next to the corners of your mouth, that tend to get in the way when you're eating and occasionally get "chomped"? As best I can tell, that's what we're talking about here.)

Baby Girl: (innocently chewing away at her lunch) "Ouch!! Owie, Ow! (crying and holding her cheek)

Mom: "Oh honey, did you bite your cheek?"

Baby Girl: "No Mommy, I bit my polka dot!" (more crying)


There really is never a dull moment around here. Hope this helps brighten your day a little bit! :-)

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Very cute stories--the first one cracked me up!!! I might have to dig into the past for some cute stories. My kids make me laugh, but their crazy dancing and sarcasm loses something when it's written.

Missy Eagen said...

TOO TOO FUNNY-
I love writing down the things my kids come up with. I am currently working on a list of funnies from my preschoolers...they say what comes to mind and it makes for some pretty big grins from Cindy and I in a day!

Anonymous said...

My kids call that area the "junk". When a crying child comes to me and says, "mom, he hit me in the junk!" i know righ away what he is talking about.

Cute, cute stories!!

Karin said...

So fun! I used to think all those "kids' sayings" emails were made up by adults for laughs. Then I had my own kids...

Bruce Kratky said...

"Once Upon A Time" My nephew Tim (now 30 years old) came up to his Uncle Bruce who was baby sitting for an afternoon and asked, "Unka Bruth, Unka Bruth! Take me to McDonaldscan, take me to McDonaldscan!" Taken a bit off guard I asked, "Timmy, what is McDonaldscan?" He replies, "You know! Like on TV!" Upon reflection it hit me, "No body can do it like McDonald's can, No body can do it like McDonald's can." "O.K. Little Buddy! We're off to McDonaldscan! Whatta ya want to eat?" "A tease bugger Unka Bruth! A tease bugger!"

The experiences with our children get more precious with the passing of time.

Elizabeth said...

Kristi -
I totally know what you mean about your kids' humor getting lost in translation. Some of the funniest stuff our son does is of the "physical comedy" order. You just can't adequately explain it. He does an impression of a girl walking in high heels that kills me every time! However, being that you don't have the same blog restrictions that I do, I'm of the firm opinion that you need to start posting some video, girl!!! :-)

the j-crew said...

Every time my kids do or say something funny I instantly pray God will allow me to replay this memory my entire life because I'm not good at writing them down or videoing them often.