Friday, February 20, 2009

Why do I blog?

(WARNING – Really long post that may bore most of you out of your minds!)

Last night, my husband read my post about the candle. He shook his head and said, “I don’t understand the blogging thing. Who in the world would want to know about you buying a pear-scented candle?” (He wasn’t trying to be mean, the whole concept genuinely confuses him.) I, of course, pointed out with a smirk that HE reads it, now doesn’t he?! But it got me thinking…why DO I do this?

I realized that there are a lot of answers to that question. (For those of you who don’t give a rip – feel free to walk away now. Knowing me, this could get long.) The first reason that jumps to my mind is that I’ve always had a “thing” with writing. I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember. It somehow solidifies what I’m thinking – makes it more real, clearer, easier to put my arms around.

It fascinates me, the way God puts my life together. The name of my blog kind of says it all for me – my life strikes me as God’s weaving loom. An intersection of a bunch of threads that often seem random to me. Silly, stupid, “I-bought-a-pear-candle-when-I-really-wanted-to-buy-a-lilac-candle” moments. Maybe those would be the yellow threads in life; the things that make life sunny and fun, and never fail to make me giggle. Then there are the “blue thread” moments; the ones where nothing feels right, nothing makes sense and my attitude stinks. Some of my favorite ones are the moments that really matter; the things my kids do that make all the blood, sweat and tears of mothering worth it, the lessons God is teaching me, the relationships in my life. Those could be the vibrant red threads, perhaps? Each day of my life (and each post that I write) feels very random. But when I write them down, I can look back and see that God’s doing something. Each of those moments makes up a part of who I am; and someday, when I walk through the door of heaven, God will have woven together a beautiful tapestry that glorifies Him.

My husband’s response? KEEP A JOURNAL, WOMAN!! Yeah, I do that too. But I tend to only record the things that feel really important. And then I miss all the moments that just make life funny and interesting. My husband, by nature, is a private person. He cannot fathom why in the world anyone would want information about themselves just floating around for anyone to read. You have to hold a special place in my husband’s life to earn the privilege of really knowing him. God made me different. I have a fundamental desire to connect with other people, and it’s hard to connect with people who don’t know what’s going on in your life. Yes, I know, you’re thinking, “Hello-ooo, there’s such a thing as conversation! Pick up a phone! Go out to lunch!” But there again, my tendency is to only do that if I feel like there is something important to communicate. It’s a lot of work to go out to lunch when you have 4 little kids! And there are people that I wouldn’t have necessarily gotten to know better outside of “blog-world” (Kristi, Jenny). I hate that that’s true, but sometimes your life just doesn’t happen to intersect with other people that you would absolutely LOVE if you just got to know them. There are all sorts of things that happen in my life that I wouldn’t call my parents just to tell them, but they read about them here and they know me better. There’s even a former youth leader that I haven’t talked to in years that now I’ve gotten to re-connect with! (Bruce) :-)

Part of it is purely egotistical. I like to make people laugh, and I like the thought that people read this blog and occasionally get a chuckle. (We won’t even discuss whether that’s reality or not – it might damage my fragile ego!)

I think that one of my spiritual gifts is encouragement. Perhaps…maybe…other tired moms read about the crazy things that happen in my family and feel encouraged to “keep on truckin’”? Or read about my wacky tendencies and think, “I thought I was the only one that did stupid stuff like that!” Or, “Hey, if that girl can get through Leviticus, then by hankie, I can too!!” Even better, maybe an unbeliever would somehow stumble onto this site and see a woman who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and it would create a thirst in them. That’s a stretch, I know, but stranger things have happened!

Sometimes, like last week, I have nothing to say. Other times, like this week, I can’t shut-up! I’m not sure I really even understand all the reasons that I like to blog. But, I do. If you don’t care to read about the ins and outs of my life, then I seriously doubt you’re still reading. So, it doesn’t really matter, now does it?! :-)

Blogging – I salute you!!

8 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

I like blogging because I can document a few of the MANY things that happen in our family. So, maybe our kids will read our blogs after we print them off! :) What a great way to better understand your mother and remember your childhood.

It also keeps our whole family informed on what we are doing. (sisters, aunts, mil)

Last but not least....it keeps me connected to other people in the "real" world.

Karin said...

I've been thinking about writing a similarly-titled post but can't quite corral my thoughts on it. You've inspired me. But also set the bar quite high. : ) (I thought it was a great post, as are all your other ones. You can tell that to Samson, though he'll just shake his head some more.)

And I hear what you're saying about the "important" stuff and also relationship building. We were together week in and week out in small group for what? 2 years? 3 years? You were my sister in Christ and quickly became my friend. But it's true -- a lot of what we shared was the "important" stuff. I didn't know about your love of writing, your love of cutting snowflakes at the start of winter, your obsessive need to color coordinate all your accessories. Do I NEED to know those things? Well, no I guess, but they're what make you YOU. And so knowing them helps me to know the real you better.

And sure, in the same time it takes us to blog and comment and read, etc, we maybe could've covered this same information on the phone or over coffee. But it would've been just the two of us. Through blogging, you can reach innumerable people all at the same time. Sounds pretty efficient to me. And any [person of your husband's profession, lest I divulge his private information] ought to love that!

P.S. Did my comment turn out longer than your post?!? Eek...

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Karin. I think of you as my "little ray of sunshine" friend! ;-)

Bruce Kratky said...

Here is a quote. I do not know the author, but it is very important to writers to understand. She was being complemented by an interviewer as to the beauty and complexity of her books. The interviewer wanted to get a better understanding of her amazing intellect. When asked what she "thought" about her reponse was, "How do I know what I think until I have read what I have written?"

Bruce Kratky said...

Delilah, you have beautiful thoughts. Keep writing them down and sharing them with yourself and others. As for Samson, I have little hope. I am sure that when you look into his mind you see endless series of ones and zeros! LOL. Engineers, so black, so white, so...binary.

Elizabeth said...

Bruce - just remember, "silent waters run deep!" :-) Samson may be rather "binary", but I love him like crazy!!!

Missy Eagen said...

love this post :) I found a quote a while ago that I use as the "tag line" on my blog and I love it so much that I just had it made into vinyl for my wall at home (I have yet to get it up but it's made)....

It's the little moments that make life big.....

Kristi said...

Very nice bit of reflective writing, Girl! I had to laugh at the "by hankie" because it reminded me of Minnesota talk--last night I went to my first at-the-theatre-movie in pretty close to a year--New in Town about a Miami woman coming to live amongst Minnesotans. It wasn't a fabulous movie, so don't anyone think I'm recommending it. I think it's true, too, that it's so hard to get together with friends or make new ones--our kids are different ages and that definitely can be a huge barrier--simply because our activities revolve around them most of the time.