Friday, October 16, 2009

My heart's beat

I absolutely love science! Particularly, the sciences that involve the natural world: biology, astronomy, botany, zoology, etc. It is completely fascinating to me! I've been interested in this kind of information ever since I was a little girl. I used to dream of being a marine biologist. I was quite thrilled when my son took an interest in sharks at a young age because the more he sought out information about them, the more I got to learn too!

I distinctly remember my two favorite school lectures ever. The first was in high school when we learned about the process of photosynthesis. I was completely transfixed. I still think that it is one of the coolest and most fascinating processes God ever created. The second was during my first or second year of college. In my first anatomy and physiology course, we learned all about the human heart - the chambers and valves, the blood flow, the oxygenation process, etc. I fell in love. If I would have pursued a career in medicine, it would have been in the field of cardiology.

Throughout high school and college, I remember frequently scanning NASA's website. I would look at the latest satellite pictures of distant planets, galaxies and nebulas, and peruse the current "space news."
The planet, Jupiter, still completely captivates me. How can there be a gigantic storm, 3 times the size of Earth, that has raged in that atmosphere for centuries without ever wearing itself out?! Fascinating! If someone offered to stick me in a probe and launch me into space to go find that answer myself, I would sign up in a heartbeat! Speaking of storms, one of these days I am SOOOOO signing up for one of those storm-chasing tours. Maybe for my 40th birthday. There is a big part of me that's really frustrated that I've never gotten to see a tornado in person. Sadistic, I know.

I am never happier than when I'm out in the middle of nature somewhere, completely away from any man made constructs. Here's my personal snapshot of the world's perfect place:

Fall Lake, BWCA, Northern Minnesota
Overlooking the front tip of my canoe
Dusk
Oar placed across my lap, waiting for the last drops of water to fall from the paddle so the water returns to glass
Loon calls
Sunset
Nature Silence (which really isn't quiet at all)
Perfection!!

I think, someday, I'll go back to school. Not because I want to pursue a career, not because I want a degree, but just because there is too much cool stuff out there to go through my entire life never knowing. Dad, (my kindred spirit)...care to come along? :-)

There is something in my soul that quickens when it comes to God's creation. It awes me. Rather, He awes me! If the created world can be this fascinating, incomprehensible, beautiful, powerful, detailed and complex, how much more so is He? Before any of this ever was, He is.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

"In the beginning, GOD."

Lord, You are the beginning. You are the beautiful, the fascinating. Everything else is just an echo of who You are. As I seek to know more about the world You created, may my heart pound ever louder in its praise of You.

1 comment:

Abba said...

Sharing my love of science, love of learning, and love of nature with you has always been one of my greatest pleasures. I had hoped that somewhere in there I might have also been able to grow a hunting buddy, but alas your “too well connected” brain just can’t seem to reconcile killing the animals you love. Maybe it is easier for guys – weaker corpus callosum ya know! Well there may yet be hope with one of the grandkids. By the way, one of your children enjoyed watching Norm with me this morning and genuinely seemed interested in learning to building furniture. You’ll never guess which one!
As for your offer to join you on your learning adventure – I am so there!!