Thursday, October 29, 2009

Birthday Girl

Today is our oldest daughter's birthday. 9 years ago today, she burst into our lives with her winsome and bubbly ways and changed us forever. True to her nature, she couldn't wait to see what the world had to offer, so she showed up 11 days early! She was the realization of our deepest-held dreams, all wrapped up in an adorable 6-pounds-and-12-ounce package.

It has been such a joy and a privilege to watch her grow. When I look at her now, and observe who she is becoming, I see so many wonderful things...

I see a child of God – a girl who asked Jesus to come live in her heart when she was just 3 years old, and meant every word of it. I see a girl who has spiritual understanding that belies her young age; a girl who seeks after God with all of her heart, and pursues a relationship with Him independent of her parents' faith.

I see a great friend – one who chooses her friends wisely and loves them deeply; one who is faithful, loyal and kind.

I see the heart of a servant – one who notices those who need a little extra love, a little extra care, a little extra help...and then delights in giving it. I see a heart that sacrifices joyfully, gladly putting the needs of others before her own.

I see the makings of a leader – a young person who knows what she believes and why, and who isn't afraid to stand alone when necessary. I see a person who seeks out positions of leadership at school, at church and at home, and whose example inspires those around her.

I see a budding artist – one who loves beauty, creates music, weaves words, fashions stories, and sketches art.

I see my little girl – my precious firstborn, who has taught me far more than I've ever taught her; who captured my heart at first glance and continues to amaze me.

I see a young woman – beautiful inside and out, who I am very proud to call my daughter.


Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!

2 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Happy birthday, Dee Jr!!! :) Hannah also sends birthday wishes your way today.

Anonymous said...

Hey Delilah Jr.,
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday.

Oh by the way, did I remember to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~G~