Friday, March 6, 2009

Hate it!


We have cellular shades in all of our bedrooms that have a string-loop that you pull to open and close them. They’re almost 6 years old, and apparently getting a little tired, because the strings on two of the shades snapped within days of each other this week (our master bedroom one, and the one in my son and youngest daughter’s room). We have replacement strings ordered, but until they get here we can’t open and close our shades – they either have to stay all the way up or all the way down. Since no one in my family except me can sleep with the shade open, they are fixed in the “down” position.

I’ve started avoiding going upstairs in my house! I’m a big sunshine person. I really enjoy the sun shining in the windows and it tends to make me feel like I’m living in a secluded cave if I can’t see it. Years ago, I had a friend who always kept all the blinds drawn in her house...all the time. She explained to me once that she liked it that way – she didn’t like the bright sun shining through the windows. I could literally feel my heart sink when I walked into her house on a nice, sunny day. I remember thinking, “If I kept my windows shut like this all the time I would have serious depression issues in less than a week!” Funny, that just reminded me...I had post-partum depression after all of my babies. Our first baby was born in the fall, and I distinctly remember telling my husband that he HAD to make it home from work before it got dark outside, because after dark I just couldn't cope anymore - my whole world felt like it was caving in. That was extreme - I'm not usually that "off-center"...just when I'm post-partum! :-)

Needless to say, I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new strings! Until then, I’m just staying on the main level of my house as much as possible!

6 comments:

Bruce Kratky said...

Delilah, I couldn't agree with you more. Though I don't suffer from SAD my wife does big time and I feel a little off when ever it is overcast. I have encouraged KK to go to a tanning salon to see if it can help, but to date she has felt that too corny. However, there is good science behind the idea that it could help some folks. It is a popular item for folks who live in Alaska, doncha know.

I take this issue seriously with folks who do suffer. Depression is real and during the winter we experience many overcast days and short ones to boot.

You keep out in the sun as much as you can and want. I am with you. I wouldn't go upstairs during the day with those blinds down if you paid me to!

the j-crew said...

I can't wait till we're on our front porch enjoying the sun like cats!

The McCutcheons said...

LOL, do you guys lay down on your porch like cats? I will have to come over and see that in the summer! Do you purr and shed too? :)

Go tanning. It will perk you right up! Or...get those new light bulbs that are like the sun. Or...wait for your new blinds and you'll be fine. :)

Elizabeth said...

My new strings arrived!! All is well! :-)

the j-crew said...

Now who has blog multiple personality disorder?! :) I think I finally got mine figured out. I found a new site with more options. Yea! I like your background better, I had a hard time reading your other one with my old eyes! :)

Elizabeth said...

J - hmm...now I'm worried about you. I haven't changed my blog background in 2 months - ever since you originally hooked me up with "the cutest blog on the block." I'm not into change, remember? Are you sure that your eyesight is the only thing that your old age is affecting?? :-) (tee hee hee)