Sunday, November 23, 2008

Santa, the tooth fairy, and the omniscience of God

I should have seen it coming. I should have realized that we had an issue on our hands years ago. Everyone told me that the “why?” stage children go through starts at around 2 years old and lasts until about 3 (or maybe 4 at the outside). My oldest daughter started asking “why?” at about 18 months old and there’s still no end in sight. She’s 8. This is the same child that asked Jesus into her heart when she was only 3…and she actually understood what she was doing. I’m telling you, this kid’s brain works overtime!

Unfortunately, I still wasn’t prepared last Christmas when she noticed that the soccer ball Santa had supposedly brought her had a UPC code stamped on it. “Mom,” she asked, “Is Santa really real?” “Why do you ask?” I inquired. She responded, “because I don’t understand why there would be a barcode on a soccer ball that he gave me when he made it right in his factory – it’s not like he had to buy it.” All I could really muster up was, “Um….” I somehow looked into her very skeptical eyes and masterfully dodged the question for yet another year. I don’t think I actually convinced her of anything, but I at least pacified her enough to get her to drop it for the time being. It stinks when your first kid is on top of the ball, but she has 3 younger (and more naïve) siblings. The other 3 still buy Santa hook, line and sinker.

Just the other day, my son lost a tooth. My eldest pulled me aside, yet again, and asked, “Mom, is the tooth fairy real, or do you and Dad just put money in our tooth fairy pillows?” I can be a little thick at times, but I know when I’ve been outsmarted altogether. I quietly told her, “Honey, the tooth fairy isn’t real – it’s just something fun that Mom and Dad do for you guys.” She asked, “How ‘bout Santa?” I replied, “No, honey, Santa isn’t real either – that’s Mom and Dad too.” (Can you hear the innocence shattering?) She clarified, “But there really was a guy named St. Nicholas, right?” “Yes,” I replied. Then I carefully told her that she could not…under ANY circumstances…relay this information to her siblings, who are still having quite a bit of fun believing in Santa and the tooth fairy. She promised she wouldn’t (yeah, right). About 10 minutes later, she quietly came up to me and asked, “Do I still get money for losing teeth even though I know the tooth fairy isn’t real now?” “Only if you never tell your siblings!!” I wisely retorted. It’s hard keeping up with Miss Smarty Pants, but every once in awhile I manage to toss her a curve ball.

If only this problem were contained to the realm of make-believe. We’ve had a couple of family discussions lately about God being in control of the things in our lives. Apparently, she’s been diligently chewing on that one, because about a week ago she piped up from the backseat of the truck (rather out-of-the-blue), “Mom, do we make our own decisions, or does God really make them for us?” Again, I responded with an earth-shattering, “Um….” How do you answer that?? Do I launch into a theological explanation of Calvinism versus Arminianism and provide a doctoral thesis supporting the views of each? I don’t think so. First of all, I’m hardly qualified, and second of all, she was already giving me a headache. I settled for telling her that we make our own decisions, and we’re responsible for either following God’s ways, or disobeying Him.

Oy! She’s only 8 years old, what on earth am I going to say when she’s 16? Why doesn’t God match smart kids up with smart parents? Or at least give them parents who didn’t fry all their existing brain cells having 4 kids in 5 years’ time?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why?

Because He Loves you of course!!

Anonymous said...

It's the mother's curse, you know the one that goes "I hope you have a daughter that is just like you are some day!"

Hope you continue to enjoy the journey.

The McCutcheons said...

LOL, our kids are the ones who tell other kids that, "Santa was never real." We are the mean parents and tell them the truth from the beginning. They aren't allowed to have fun in our house! :) (We also have never let them sleep in our bed, traded bottles for cups early, tossed the pacifier after they turned ONE, and started potty training them as early as 18 months!) There was always a new baby on the way and I needed them to be BIG! LOL my kids are going to have problems aren't they??

Maybe, I need to explain...I guess we really wanted them to be thankful for what God has provided for our family on Christmas...not Santa. We also didn't ever want to enter the thought process that God wasn't real because Santa wasn't really ever real too.

You'll make it. When she is 16..just refer her to the youth pastor. That's what I am going to do. :)

Millions of parents do the "Santa" thing and their kids turn out great! You are already a member of the "Great Parents" group. Keep it up!

Elizabeth said...

I'm with ya! My kids would probably claim that santa is one of the few "fun" things they're allowed -- we, too, don't go for the kids in our bed, routinely tell them, "Mom and Dad aren't about fair," and refuse to give them band-aids unless gushing blood is present. We figure they'll appreciate the blessings in life more that way! :-) Both us parents grew up with the whole "santa thing," and never had any confusion issues, so we're hoping the same thing happens for them. It's unfortunate for our kids that parenting is just one big experiement, isn't it?!! Too funny!

Elizabeth said...

By the way, Mom, thanks a lot for the whole "mom curse" thing. I'm really enjoying being the recepient of that! You could have at least wished her to have a little less energy than I did!!

the j-crew said...

Next they ask you to explain calculus, remember?! :)
btw, my standard answer for ANY "why" question is "because that's the way God planned it." It works for almost anything!

Anonymous said...

Actually she does have a little less energy than you did, but you added 3 more to the mix.

Abba says, good luck on that self afflicted bullet hole in your foot.

I on the other hand am glad for the extra blessings

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A BLESSING! WHAT JOY TO HAVE A DAUGHTER TO BE "IN ON THE JIG". SHE WILL FEEL LIKE YOUR LITTLE BUDDY I AM SURE. LOVE YOUR BLOG. YOU WIRTE SO BEAUTIFLY!