There appears to be an echo in my house. I hear it in varying intensities, pitches, and tones throughout every day..."Mom-my!" I hear it so often that I'm beginning to develop a twitch above my left eye. It's starting to affect my general outlook on life. This sound can originate from anywhere, but it comes most frequently from the upper-most level of our home...just as I'm landing on the second-to-the-bottom stair of the lower-most level.
Child: "Moooooom-yyyyy!"
Me: (stomping up 2 flights of stairs like a 2-year-old) "YES, Dear?"
Child: "I went to da bafroom on da toilet."
Me: (through clenched teeth) "But WHY did you have to haul me up 2 flights of stairs to tell me that?" (twitch)
Child: (smiling angelically) "I did a good job!"
Me: (seething with repressed frustration because there's no way humanly possible to be angry at that) "Yes, honey, ya did a good job." (sigh)
More often than not this call can be heard simultaneously from all 4 of my children, all from a different corner of the house:
"Moooo-ooom"
"Mommy!"
"Motheeeeeerrrrrr"
"Hey Mom!"
It would be almost melodic if it weren't so irritating. Maybe they could try it in 4-part harmony...to the tune of "Where is Thumpkin" perhaps...
"Mommy Dearest, Mommy Dearest
Where are you? Where are you?
We all need your help, please
And we cannot find you
Where are you? Where are you?"
It would sure beat the bellering. I'm thinking of changing my name. Mix it up a little. How about "Beautiful"...or "O Supreme One"...even "Your Highness, Majestic and Mighty in Power." The increased syllables alone in that last one ought to make it harder to holler across the house.
Well, I gotta run. I'm being summoned again. (hey! that's "Your Highness, Majestic and Mighty in Power" to you, young lady!)
9 comments:
My favorite one is the long "O" as in Moooooooooooooooom with increasing volume on the O too. I think I'll have them start calling me "blessed."
LOVE the blog!! It's going to be so fun reading your posts! I am now officially addicted to reading blogs...not good when I have a whole garage and basement piled high with boxes waiting to be unpacked and put away :) Oh well, I gotta have some distractions other than the......"moooooooomyyyy or Saaaaaraaaa"...I'm with you on the new title!
Hey Sara!
How in heaven's name do you have time to be doing this right now?! I can't wait to see the new digs!
See, that's the problem- I don't have time and should not even turn the computer on :) We will have you all over very soon! See you tomorrow...I'm off to the boxes!!
Hey Delilah,
I know you ladies have a really tough job and being a Mom is both the most honored title on earth while simultaneously being the most thankless. But why is it, do you suppose, I can’t ever remember Samson complaining about be summoned away from being…this close… to having all the worlds problems completely solved by a concentration shattering Daaaaaady?
That's because, as every woman knows, THEY NEVER SAY DADDY!!! (sheesh)
except maybe in your family...;-)
And I was looking for some intelligent, yet humorous, eloquent treatise on the division of labor in the contemporary American family; and what do I get but the parenting equivalent of “I never had sex with that woman.” Sheesh indeed!!
high expectations will get you in trouble every time! (especially where I'm concerned)
Post a Comment