Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Funny story

We've been having a little trouble around here lately with bathroom attendance. My kindergartener does not make time to go to the bathroom at school during the day. So, by the time she gets off the bus at noon, she has to go so bad that she ends up going potty on our front step right outside the door instead of making it to the bathroom. Yesterday, I tried to address this problem. I said, "Honey, you have GOT to go to the bathroom at school BEFORE you get on the bus to come home. You can't keep trying to hold it that long." She said, "Mom, I'll forget!" So, we talked about what a good time would be to go within their schedule, and she decided that during her center-time would be the best. She was still worried that she would forget, and we were just sitting down to lunch, so as we prayed, I asked that God would help her to remember to go to the bathroom during center-time the next day. (We pray about everything around here.) When we ended our prayer, she got a little teary-eyed and said, "But Mom, I don't hear God talk, so how is He going to tell me?" I said, "Don't worry honey, God can remind you quietly in your mind so that all of the sudden you will just remember to go to the bathroom."

Today, when she got home from school, she did make it to the bathroom (barely), but it was clear she hadn't gone before she came home. I said, "Honey, we talked about this, why didn't you go during center time?" She said, (in a rather irritated fashion) "I forgot again. God didn't remind me!" After I stopped laughing, I thought YIKES!! Someone PLEASE tell me I haven't forever damaged the faith of a 5 year old!
I told her we'd keep praying about it. :-)

1 comment:

Karin said...

I needed to read this today! Middle Kid had three "accidents" yesterday, and already two today. What is UP with that?!?!?!? So reading your post was a nice reminder that a) it happens to everyeon, and b) God cares about this struggle of mine/hers just as he cares about ALL our struggles, so talking to Him about it--with her--would be a great idea. Why didn't I think of that right away?!?