I hate my navigation system. My husband would like to gouge his eyes out in frustration over that sentiment (wait a minute…isn’t Samson already missing his eyes?) Anyway…my intense loathing of our navigation system irks him to no end because I am a navigational idiot. No, that’s not some form of false modesty, it’s true. I can get lost pulling out of my own driveway. I never have any idea where I’m going unless I’ve driven there 100 times before. And someone ELSE driving me to that destination 100 times before does not count. There are places I’ve been going for years that I still have no idea how to get to. Go ahead, laugh, I got used to it a long time ago.
A good friend of mine pointed out the other day that in spite of my obvious handicap, I strangely keep volunteering to drive when a group of us is going out somewhere. She’s right…it’s weird…I’d never noticed that before. I think it has something to do with my neurotic need to make other people happy. I figure if I volunteer to drive, then no one else will have to worry about it. You could call that nice…except that then they all just spend their time worrying for their lives instead! (I do really weird things like almost turning the wrong way down exit ramps and stuff when I’m not sure where I’m going.)
Back to the present subject, you would think that all of that would make me LOVE having a navigation system in my vehicle, wouldn’t you? Well, I don’t. For one, the thing is downright annoying. A British chick saying, “In 300 feet, turn left” *ding* is not my idea of a good time. I really, really, really hate it when my technology talks to me. On top of that, given the level of my idiocy, I’m bound to make a wrong turn anyway, at which point Miss Brit goes into convulsive statements of “recalculating…recalculating…recalculating.” Samson’s lucky he doesn’t have a hole punched in his dash yet.
When my dear husband figured out that the voice prompts were bugging me, he kindly turned the voice prompt off so that it just gives me visual directions. Not a good idea. When you don’t know where you’re going, your driving skills are questionable at best, and you have 4 kids making an inordinate amount of noise in the back seat, taking your eyes off the road isn’t advisable. On top of that, the visual prompts come primarily in the form of a handy little highlighted map. Maps and I have never gotten along. Do you really think that if I was proficient at reading a map I would have all this trouble in the first place?! To make matters worse, the map only shows you about 1 block at a time (tiny screen and all) which only increases my anxiety resulting from feeling like I don’t know where I am or where I’m going.
There are lessons to be learned here:
First, it is possible to defy the odds – I’ve never been involved in a car accident (unless you count the one that involved a fire hydrant when I was 16)
Second, adding a handy-dandy navigation system to a vehicle will not turn an idiot driver into Mario Andretti (much to the chagrin of one’s husband)
Third, if you see a large white Suburban driving the wrong way down an exit ramp, don’t be a jerk and honk. Move over and kindly wave while acting like the whole thing is completely normal. You never know, you just might make my day (until I get in a head-on collision).
8 comments:
There are no words to explain how some apples roll sooooo far.
We would make a great team. I don't drive so well, but have doog navigational instincts. You could drive and I will get us there.
Ebby Ray
Ebby-
You're on!!
Hi Delilah-- Found your blog from Kristi's and thought your post on cutting our snowflakes was a great idea for us and your post about The Bubble was hilarious. But had no idea who you were. Noticed many of the commenters were people I knew, so figured I must know you too. All I really had to work with was "mom with four kids" -- that describes about half the women I know! Well, and "funny" but that didn't decrease the pool much. That night, ran into Jen at church (whose blog I also just found) and she spilled the beans. "Didn't you see the motorcycle?" she asked. And sure enough, "harley in driveway" was the dead giveaway!
Anyway, just wanted to Hi. And since I'm no longer in ---- with you, or in ----, and so don't see you as often, it's nice to stop by here and "connect."
Karin
Hi Karin!
Glad you found us! And found out who "us" is! :-) So...does this inspire you to start up on your blog again??? I used to read yours all the time until you left us all high and dry. :-)
Note to Sampson...I too would be gouging the eyes!!
Did I write this blog? Wait...I don't own a white Suburban! I have to admit, I don't think I've ever been as carsick as I was that time I had the pleasure of accompanying you to drop off our sitters last month. Backwards, rotating, 3D images flashing on dark, curvy roads...whew, need I say more? Wait...I remember a time that was worse..It was back when I was pregnant, very hungry, and very crabby with Mr. Sheep, who happened to be very undecisive about where to go to eat a late dinner (what's so hard about taking the lead and finding "somewhere they serve food")?!
Ah, my dear shepherd folk. You guys crack me up!! Mrs. Sheep, I think my bad driving may have significantly contributed to that little bout of nausea you experienced. Only a true friend would love me through that!! :-) And Mr. Sheep, why don't you and Samson go for that eye-gouging routine together and then me and Mrs. Sheep can go shopping as often as we want and you guys won't even be able to complain about what all we bought?!!
Post a Comment