Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Poetic words

I think I may be unusual. *grin* I realized the other day that there are words in the English language that I like, purely based on the way that they sound when you say them. It has nothing at all to do with what they mean. The longer I thought about it, the more words popped into my head:

~autumn (also quite enjoyable is the word “autumnal”. I must really like the “au” thing because I also love the name, Audrey, and the name of the country, Austria)
~perhaps
~velvet
~mahogany
~wisp
(I guarantee you’re mouthing these words to yourself as you read them) :-)
~lovely
~giggle
~crimson
~cerebral
~quandary
~melancholy

On the other hand, I am not at all fond of the word, “yodel.” However, I suppose it’s logical that a disturbing sound would have a rather unpleasant-sounding name.

Anyone else have any favorite (or not so favorite) words?

(if no one answers this post, I’ll know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was in a very quirky mood the day He created me)

7 comments:

The Rays said...

My favorites are sublime and lovely

Ebby Ray

Elizabeth said...

Oooo, sublime...good one! Apparantly you're just as weird as I am, Ebby! I'm proud to know you, girl!! :-)

Kristi said...

I was going to do this--you totally beat me to it! Hmmm. Here are a few: serendipity, misty, willow, genre, and cliche.

Elizabeth said...

All I can say is great minds think alike! (either that, or I'm telepathic...which I don't think is that likely.) I love "genre" -- great choice!

the j-crew said...

squander, squirt, bedlam, anarchy, juxtaposition, illuminate.

Elizabeth said...

I just have to add here: I'm so proud to know all of you!!! :-) It gives me great comfort to know that I'm not the only who's brain works in so strange a fashion. Of course, it's also kind of disturbing that the world may be full of people like us...oh well, we'll stick with the positive here! Way to go on the words, girls!!

Anonymous said...

Falalalala simple things for simple minds.