Friday, July 24, 2009

That's berry, berry crazy!

It's a sad day when you come to the realization that you're too perfectionistic to buy strawberries.

Now...deep down in the recesses of my rational mind, I know full well that the perfect carton of strawberries just does not exist. But, somehow, when I'm standing in the produce aisle facing 723 cartons of beautiful, red strawberries, that knowledge just does not stop me from trying to find it nonetheless. I can't help feeling absolutely certain that the next carton of strawberries I pick up will surely be less imperfect than the one I currently hold in my hands. And, so, I stand before the strawberries, carefully inspecting all 723 cartons, while the other shoppers maneuver their carts around me and shake their heads in pity. This afternoon, I finally came to my senses and said to myself in exasperation (out loud, I think...oops), "Just pick one already!!"

A lifelong friend of mine had a clock in her college apartment that never failed to make me smile. It had all the numbers jumbled in a pile at the bottom of the clock, and across the middle was scrawled, "Whatever!" I would frequently look at that clock and think, "Man, I wish I was more like that!"

I kind of wonder when it was that I transformed into a perfectionistic maniac. I wasn't always like this. I clearly remember being high school-aged, standing in my bedroom, listening to my mom explain to me in frustration for the 63rd time that the entire surface of my dresser should be a clear and uncluttered surface. I honestly stood there thinking, "She's nuts!" It's obviously genetic because I now stand in our mudroom explaining to my own children for the 4,563rd time (and in no uncertain terms) why there should not be a pile of shoes on the rug in front of the door when we have 2 shoe bins plus a shoe rack in the closet. I see the look in their eyes. They stand there thinking, "She's nuts!"

I seem to be attracted to people of a laid-back nature. I stand in awe and admiration of their relaxed and happy-go-lucky personalities. It's so refreshing to me. These people can leave dirty dishes in their kitchen sinks, not shower until 1:00 in the afternoon, and leave the beds unmade all day, and not be any worse for the wear. And I'm fairly certain that they don't drive their fellow shoppers in the strawberry aisle to the brink of madness. My two best buds are definitely like this. Don't get me wrong, they're not slobs or anything, they're just...normal. There are days I want to take them by both shoulders, look at them with my crazed and maniacal eyes and cry, "HELP ME!! Can't you see that I've lost my mind?!?" Except I know what would happen. They would shake their heads in pity, gently place a hand on my shoulder, and say, "We've tried, sweetie, and we're sorry, but there's just no such thing as help for someone as far gone as you."

5 comments:

the j-crew said...

Ahhh, NOW I understand why little H couldn't go to dad's work in a dance outfit! :) AND I understand why you can be friends with me, I'm of the "pick a half way decent box of strawberries without too much mold and it will be fine" nature.

Anonymous said...

Love you Dee! I often wish I could me more like you and not go to sleep with dirty dishes in my sink and a heap of CLEAN laundry on the floor in the kids play room. I want order and cleanleness and yet....I don't know what happens! Can't we all just find the happy medium?

PS - I read your blog, but prefer to remain semi-anonymous! ;-)

Bert

Elizabeth said...

Bert -
Opposites attract! Apparantly it's true in marriage AND friendships! :-)

(the anonymous thing doesn't bother me a bit.) ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think that I had to come to crips with loving and accepting myself for who I was. Either a person is more relaxed or the one that needs order in all areas. Having had parents that were one of each I can tell you there are strengths in both positions. I have also seen disrespect from one position toward the other. It would lead one to believe that one is inferior. It begs one to ask the question were would that disrespect come from if we are all created by God in His image. Boundries are always needed to remain in harmony with others, no matter what premise you're most comfortable with.

I love all my berries to be perfect, but I want my fellow shopper to enjoy my presence. It is my choice after all ;-)

Abba said...

Order is good. Perfectionism …not so much. Scratch your perfectionist itch where is has the highest payback – some things really do have to be done without compromise the first time and every time.

When you are in front of the big pile of strawberry cartons find the absolute best carton in the top row and move on. Life waits for no crazy lady. Not even the really cute ones with perfect husbands and 4 adorable children!! Actually, especially for them.