Monday, July 6, 2009

My awesome hubby

My hubby has been very busy, the last couple of months, building a deck. He just finished it this last weekend - hurrah!!! Samson never does things the easy way. It's not even in his nature. He thinks big and dreams bigger. He's been dreaming up the plans for this deck since we moved into the house six years ago. When I saw a sketch of what he was planning, I said, "Honey, why don't you just built a basic, rectangular deck. It's easier, probably cheaper, less chance for error, etc." (That would be my nature...the "safe" way every time!) As he so frequently does, he gave me a blank stare and asked, "Where's the fun in that?!"

I gotta tell ya, when he started this deck, I secretly cringed. OK, maybe not so secretly...I may have mentioned my "reservations" a time or two. Who builds a curved-front deck?! Do we even know if those boards can bend like that?! And those things are expensive, what happens when one snaps?! (Which did happen, by the way.) Why put all the top boards at a 45-degree angle? You know at some point in the building process those stupid things are gonna get off track by like a half an inch, and give you a migraine headache when you have to rip them off and start over. (Which also happened.)

But for my husband, life is all about the challenge. He was going to build a curved-front deck if it killed him. Until about a week ago, I was still skeptical. But then, it really started to come together, and it was beautiful! Now, I look at the finished product and I can't believe what he accomplished! What's even better...he was gracious enough not to say, "I told you so!" :-) He did a great job, and someday we might even be able to afford to buy patio furniture to put on it so we can have you over for dinner! But not this year. Did I mention that Trex is expensive?!?

I frequently tell my husband that he's a really handy guy to have around. I've never met a "something" that he can't fix, build, or otherwise solve. Then he likes to quote the Red Green Show by saying, "If women don't find you sexy, they should at least find you handy!" Fortunately for him, I find him both. :-)

Here's our gorgeous new deck...



4 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Bring him over to MY house. I have a few projects for him! Looks GREAT!

Abba said...

Good job Samson!

It looks just like the plan.

Diane said...

It looks great! Last time I saw it, it was just a frame. I love it.

Karin said...

Wow! Fantastic. Now I know who to call when Ken finally gets his wish and tears down our existing deck. (Which will be about 10 years from now, since we'll need to be "of one mind" about it and that's how long it'll take me to come around...)

P.S. And as always, delightfully written. In case I haven't said that in a while. You wield words like he wields a hammer.