Has anyone else noticed the sushi-craze that has somehow managed to infiltrate our fine State in the past few years?! I don't get the sushi thing. Now, I know that there are several sushi-lovers who read my blog periodically, so I fully expect a rebuttal - that's OK, I can take it. :-)
My first and strongest objection to sushi is the fact that it's raw. Blech!!! It only took a couple of nursing courses in microbiology to cure me of the desire to ever ingest raw fish, eggs, or meat of any kind. I don't even let my kids eat raw cookie dough! I know, mean mommy. Maybe ignorance truly is bliss.
My second objection to sushi is the fact that it seems so very...New Yorkish...to me. This is Minnesota, for Pete's sake!! Any proper Minnesotan puts on around 10 pounds every winter, doesn't even blink at the prospect of driving in a foot of snow, and has at least one child born in the month of October (because what the heck else is there to do in January!!!) We don't eat sushi around here. We eat beef. And starchy stuff.
So git yerself a nice heaping pile of mashed potatoes and gravy with a side of corn on the cob, and support yer local economy!
Have a nice day! :-)
15 comments:
You are very funny! I love sushi and would eat it 3 times a day if I could. On the other hand I love meat and potatoes - minus the gravy.
LOL!
I have never had the desire to eat any raw food. I must say that I have similar views. Although, I also wouldn't pay what people pay for sushi.
(Yes, we don't allow our kids to eat raw dough. So, that's 2 mean mommies....aka-WISE mommies!) :) Why would I give them raw when they can eat it cooked? You eat to live...not live to eat, right?
How many people do you know that have gotten salmonella from raw cookie dough?? :) I don't know anyone, and until I get it, I and my (non-existant) kids will eat it. It is too good for me to pass up! There is nothing wrong with being safe, I just choose to not worry about that kind of thing.
And I would also eat sushi three times a day if my budget could handle it. I am grossed out by any meat that isn't from the ocean, but sushi has never bothered me. I started eating it as a kid.
As for meat and potatos, give me potatoes all day long! With a side of corn on the cob. Delish!
ps, I loved this post. It made me smile.
Ebby, you were so KIND!! I expected to get SLAMMED!! I'll forgive you for the sushi, because you've obviously gotten the "Minnesota nice" right. :-)
June 18th 2009, Nestle Toll House recalled its cookie dough. The CDC and FDA are investigating a link dealing with E coli. They believe that it is due to the consumption of uncooked cookie dough.
This quote was taken off the FDA's website. "The FDA reminds consumers they should not eat raw food products that are intended for cooking or baking before consumption."
My mom ate and allowed me to eat raw cookie dough and I never got sick or died. (Although, my mom is dead! Hhhmmm...) The men in my (Czarnecki side) family ALL eat raw hamburger meat on rye bread. YUCKY!! I just cannot risk my own children getting sick. Who has the time for sick kids?? :) That's what nice about being an adult...you can make your own choices! :)
I think that's all for now. Maybe, I should shower today and stop reading about raw cookie dough!
Diane...you should also know that I worry about EVERYTHING! LOL!! (I have considered never leaving my house.) Just kidding! :)
Jenny, in my mind, you and Diane are even. She may very well die of food poisoning due to the consumption of undercooked foods. But you, on the other hand, may very well beat her to it. Cause of death: extremely high blood alcohol level, secondary to the absorption of excessive amounts of Germ-X through the skin!!! :-)
Too funny! I have the best story for you.
When I was camping last week I made pancakes for breakfast... Out of a skillet that I put under the dripping facet. In the morning there were some frogs hanging out in the water. I dumped the water out, rinsed the skillet and made my pancakes.
I really felt like I was roughing it. :)
Delilah,
You are right about the Germ-X. :) Do you think that I'll be the first one ever to die of that cause? Maybe, I can make it into a record book!
Diane, there is really no question about it. LOL, frog juice in your pancakes IS roughing it! Now, I'll have to find out what kind of germs frogs carry. I'll be sure to let you know! :)
Ok thanks. Other that the occasional hiccup I feel fine. Hopefully they don't turn into ribbets! If they do I will make sure to go to the doctor asap!
1. all the comments made me giggle
2. Delilah I'm nodding my head in agreement- never tried it, don't want to and don't care how 'close minded' that makes me... ick ick ick. pile on the potatoes and gravy and don't forget the stinkin bad for you bun to dip in it all! :)
Too funny - the original posts and the comments too.
I do love sushi, but a nice thick slab of beef next to a huge pile of steaming mashed potatoes makes me giddy too.
Speaking of beef, Jenny, perhaps I'm distantly related to your Cazrnecki men -- I used to eat the BEST sandwiches with my German grandparents: raw beef mixed with some chopped raw onion, spread on a piece of nice firm buttered German bread, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes we also mixed in a raw egg with the beef and onions. Friends, do NOT knock it if you haven't tried it. : )
(I should add: as an adult now, I'd still do this in Germany, with meat purchased from our neighbors there who farm. Would NOT do this here, with meat purchased from the local mega-mart!!!!)
Karin, you are gross! :)
Well, I don't know what happened to that young'n and her phobia about germs. Send 'em to school and they pick up all sorts of crazy ideas.
When I was young, one of my friends would serve raw ground beef (not hamburger, fresh sirloin steak ground) mixed with raw onions, spices and spread on rye - very yummy. I also occasionally enjoy sushi, especially the salmon.
I obviously seer clear of eating food that is likely to contain large quantities of bacteria. I have never gotten sick from eating raw fish or beef. Ingesting reasonable quantities of common bacterium seems very Minnesotan to me and I have done so my entire life beginning at age three when my mother found me in the garden with a spoon eating black dirt. I firmly believe a person needs to regularly exercise their immune system to keep it strong – use it or lose it.
As for sushi being too “New York”; living safe indoors, in a germ free environment, now that’s too New York!
Just a Dad’s perspective.
You're funny, Dad! :-)
Sorry kid. It was me who introduced the Sushi craze to Minnesota in 1987. I was the fish monger from the big city with worldly experience who made it initially possible for restaurants and retail stores to even think of handling it. Me and the Sara Lee Corporation seafood division really messed with your life. Again, sorry.
As for the safety of sushi... well if done wrong you can get sick just as you can eating improperly prepared beef, pork, poultry or, for that matter, improperly grown and cleaned fruits and vegetables. You can become ill in a restaurant, in a hospital, in your own home if things get done improperly. As you know from your healthcare training, cross contamination is the greatest threat. So, clean your cutting boards, utensils, and wash your hands before and after you cook. Also, don't mix raw meats on a prep surface, don't prep veggies and fruits on the same stuff you cut meat on. Just common sense.
I concur with Abba. Living a too sanitary life is not healthy nor is it fun. But, to take issue with the cookie dough eaters, just because you haven't become ill doesn't mean that you can't become ill in the future. I grew up in the fifties not wearing seat belts. I didn't die in a car wreck. So, let's not wear seat belts. Well, we all know the truth... many people of my age died as children flying through the windshields of 1952 Studebakers. We just didn't pay attention. Now we do. And, the food business/industry has become increasingly complex as antibiotics have created new and interestingly dangerous forms of bacteria that we used to think of a common and quite harmless as long as we had our penicillin. Those days are going, going, going.... soon to be gone. If the food experts say don't eat raw cookie dough that has raw egg products in it, that is good counsel.
There is a law that all raw sushi must be first frozen. This kills nearly 100% of the potential parasites one can ingest by accident. The flesh of properly cut fillet is sterile, as is the internal meat of a steak. So, again, cross contamination is key... don't do it.
If you want "Steak Tar Tar" then make sure you use fresh ground steak and not hamburger meat. Freeze it first and you reduce, nearly illiminate the threat of parasites.
Food is a corner stone of a culture. Having an appreciation for different foods from different cultures is a good thing. Minnesotans, ones such as yourself, are historically sheltered to the extreme. The ick factor is actually cultural isolation at work. The old ways will pass away. Change is good. Be sure you don't get hung up on the past. I like Starbuck's coffees. My parents only had Folgers and Maxwell House. Stretch yourself and don't get all uptight about the "new" in the culinary arts.
I was tempted for a time to try some Korean and Chinese dishes... I just couldn't bring myself to skinning and "wokking" my English Springer Spaniel, Maggie. LOL
Anyway, I know too much about the food business. Again, sorry.
Post a Comment