Monday, July 27, 2009

A $1,200 mistake

Remember the whole "broken arm scheme" pulled off by our 4-year-old recently, that I so naively fell victim to? Uh-huh. Well, we just got the ER bill for that little beauty...$1,200 and change. That is one expensive mommy screw up! I've played the part of the idiot many times in my life, but I can't say that I've ever had to pay the sum of my entire life savings for the privilege!

As a result of the nauseating cost of this little charade, we now have a new family rule in this house: unless there are bones protruding through the skin, there shall be, henceforth, a mandatory 12-hour waiting period for any and all suspected injuries. We will spend those 12 hours waiting for the abrupt, spontaneous, and seemingly miraculous healing that we so recently witnessed in the life of our 4-year-old.

In the meantime, I'm hiring myself out for any and all means of income. Anyone need a toilet-scrubber for hire? Window-washer? Chauffeur? Birthday-party clown?

5 comments:

the j-crew said...

Feel your pain man, I feel your pain. Oh, and do you iron?

The McCutcheons said...

Ouch! Should we take a church offering for you? :) I have lots of Ramen noodles if you need it.

(I take all our kids to our neighborhood nurse. She's saved me thousands of dollars! The neighborhood doctor just moved out. Bummer!)

Elizabeth said...

Jennifer-
NOT funny! I have a feeling you are already aware of the fact that ironing is my most hated occupation on the face of the planet. I will live in a cardboard box and eat mud with a spoon before I will take in more ironing than I already have to do. So, maybe I lied...I'm looking for ALMOST any means of income possible! :-)

Jenny-
Church offering...hmmm...not a half bad idea! Think I could play the elder card on that somehow?

The McCutcheons said...

(giggles) You scratch my back and I'll scratch your back! :) I'll work on the offering and you work on Mark's raise.

LOL, do you think that we have any power?

Am I going to get into trouble because I said that? :)

Elizabeth said...

Um, no. I don't think we have any power. Zip, zero, nada. However, I'm pretty sure I like it that way - the whole responsibility factor and all. As for getting in trouble, I'm VERY certain that 'the powers that be' do NOT read our blogs. So...I won't tell if you won't! :-)