Thursday, December 18, 2008

The unabashed bragging of a mom

I'm so proud of my kid! Last night was "store night" at AWANA. The kids earn points as they memorize their Bible verses, and twice a year they get to spend those points in a store, buying small toys, candy and other trinkets. The kids work hard at learning their verses, and they always look forward to spending their points. All 3 of our oldest children got to shop at the store last night. After I picked them up, they laid out all their treasures for me to see. My oldest daughter (*gulp*) had picked out only one item that she really wanted for herself...and then used the rest of her points to buy her siblings toys that she knew they would enjoy.

(excuse me while I find the kleenex!)

I told her how sweet I thought that was, but then pointed out, "Honey, you know that they had their own points to shop with too, don't you?" "Yeah, I know Mom," she said, "But I probably had the most points of all of us, and when I saw this stuff I knew they would like it."

I could have put her on a podium and given her a gold medal for plain 'ol good character!!! The really, really sweet part was the attitude she spread throughout her siblings because of what she did. Normally, they would have been very "protective" of their new toys after store night. Instead, they all shared their toys generously with each other and shared lots of "I love you" hugs with each other too. You could just see her giving spirit ripple through the family.

Of all my kids, she's always been the one to willingly sacrifice for someone else. She has such a tender heart. Come to think of it, instead of sticking her up on a podium, maybe I should stick her in a pulpit...'cause that attitude'll preach, boy!!

4 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Hhhhmmmm, my home wasn't soooo giving with their "loot". :( We will continue to teach and mold better behavior. I hear that parenting never ends. Yikes!

Elizabeth said...

yeah...don't feel bad - it was atypical behavior. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet young lady.

Karin said...

How lovely!! Our kids missed "store night" but I'm pretty sure it would've been a bit more "me me me." : )