Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday yummies

I have had a stroke of brilliance! (pay attention, this doesn't happen often...) I’m always searching for fun, new holiday recipes to try when I go to various gatherings. I am personally of the opinion that the holidays bring out people’s best kept cooking secrets! So…LET’S SHARE! Pick one recipe that you love to make this time of year and post a comment. Here’s mine. (actually…truth be told, I stole this recipe from one of my neighbors a couple of years ago…but these cookies are TO DIE FOR!!!)

DIPPED GINGER SNAPS

Cookies:
1 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup molasses
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 cups flour
3 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger

Dip:
1 package white almond bark
1 tbsp. shortening

Melt shortening and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cool 15 min. Mix shortening mixture, molasses, sugar, and eggs in large bowl until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in white sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min. or until set. Cool 1 to 2 min. Remove to wire rack.

For Dipping: Melt together the white almond bark and 1 tbsp. shortening; dip ½ of each cookie into the mixture. Cool on wax paper. Give away quickly or you will eat the entire batch and gain 15 pounds in one sitting!!!

6 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Yeah!! I LOVE these kinds of things. I'll have to look and post mine later. :) I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Pecan Tassies

Crust:
1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 stick butter

For the crust, have all ingredients at room temperature. Mix together and shill for at least 2 hours. Pinch off dough and shape into two dozen 1 inch balls. Place balls in 1 ¾ inch ungreased muffin tins. With thumb, press dough against bottom and sides of tins. Set aside and mix filling.

Filling:
1 egg beaten
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tbsp. Soft butter
1 tbsp. Vanilla
2/3 chopped pecans

For filling, mix all ingredients together. Fill each tassie ¾ full. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool on cake rack. To remove, run sharp knife around edge and lift out.

The McCutcheons said...

Mocha Truffles

2 bags of semi-sweet choc. chips
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese
3 tablespoons instant coffee (or add more if you like a stronger coffee flavor)
2 teaspoons water
1 lb dark chocolate coating

Microwave chocolate chips. Add cream cheese, coffee, and water; mix well. Chill until firm. Shape into 1 inch balls. Melt chocolate coating. Dip balls into chocolate and place on wax paper.

Karin said...

Well, these aren't really "holiday" cookies, but I tint the frosting red and green and then claim that they are.

Better-Than-Oreo Cookies
3/4 c. shortening (just like Grandma used to use!!!)
2 eggs
1 pkg. Devil's Food Cake Mix
3-4 oz. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. (or so) powdered sugar

Cream shortening and eggs together. Add cake mix powder, mixing by hand. Roll into 1" balls, about 2 tsp. of dough.*** Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes; cookies will spread out and get crinkly on top. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before removing from pan onto wire rack to finish cooling.

For filling, mix remaining 4 ingredients together. Put a generous dollop on "bottom", i.e. flat side, of one cookie. Press another cookie on top to form a sandwich.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen. Yum!!!

***Or if you don't want to frost as many cookies later, or want to feel better about yourself by only having "one" cookie, make 'em bigger!!

the j-crew said...

The queen of all baking (our beloved neighbor) sent me this link that lists A BUNCH of Christmas goodies. All you do is click on the goodie and the receipe comes up. Let me know via email if you want it and I'll forward to you.
BTW, can you tell I'm catching up on all my blogging today??

The McCutcheons said...

Well, it's now MAY and I am making these AGAIN! :) I cannot wait for Christmas to arrive. Watch my belly grow and eat these yummy cookies. Maybe, I'll bring a few tomorrow to Kristi's. See you then.

I don't think that I've ever commented on a 6 month old post before???