Those little caterpillars have absolutely AMAZED me in the past week! They started out about a half inch in length and so skinny that they reminded me of some sort of parasitic worm (they really were kind of disgusting). The morning after our class, I woke up and took a look and they had already doubled their size! In 8 short days those babies increased their size by at least 10 times! By the end, they looked like your average plump, juicy caterpillar. On Sunday, one of the caterpillars (my daughter claims it was Emma) slowly climbed it's way to the top of the cup, attached itself to the circle of coffee filter and hung upside down. By the evening, we could see it excreting a little bubble of orangish-pink goo from it's body. By Monday morning, it was covered with a thin cocoon. The second caterpillar then began to climb up the cup and attached itself to the top. Late Tuesday morning, it was 2/3 covered with cocoon, and by the time we had finished lunch, it was completely enclosed. We took the bottom section of the cup off, as we had been instructed, and hung the top dome with the cocoons in our butterfly net. Here they are...
Now we wait about a week, and beautiful "Painted Lady" butterflies should emerge into our net! There is a high level of excitement around here! We can keep them in our net for a few days or so, and then we set them free on a nice warm day. I guess the butterflies LOVE grape flavored Gatorade. We're supposed to soak a couple cotton balls with the stuff and set them on a paper plate inside the net, and they'll come drink it. I'll post more pictures when they hatch!
AND...(this has nothing to do with butterflies, but I'm so excited)...I have two baby bushes that I've dreamed about for years growing in my backyard!! For the last couple of years I've been commenting that I would really like to put a couple of "Annabelle Hydrangea" bushes in our backyard under our family room window - they're the ones that have the HUGE heads of white flowers. Well, my mom and dad gave me two of them for Mother's Day this year! YIPPEE!! There was one small problem...we had no garden back there. So, my lovely husband went to work for me this last weekend, building a block wall garden between our 2 window wells that he built out of the same block when our house was built. He tied all 3 of them together beautifully (the 2 window wells and the new garden). So now I have another garden AND my dream bushes!! I'm imagining it will take quite a few years before the bushes look anything like I dream them to be, but it will be VERY worth the wait!
8 comments:
How fantastic to see so much of the metamorphosis process! We found a monarch caterpillar in Wisconsin last summer, brought it home with us, but missed most of its change. The parts we did see were so cool though!!! Am excited to see your photos
And the hydrangea garden -- ooh, so nice! Someday, I'll follow suit (tho I want the blue ones)...
My second gift you is that your bushes will be full size this year and have blossoms. Hope this brings you extra joy!
Good luck Karin. If you are talking about the Niko Blue Hydrangia everyone that I know that has them only gets them to last 2 years. We do have one family member that got them to actually flower the 2nd year, very difficult, but didn't make it to the 3rd year. She's my hero. They are really a zone 5 flower. If you go with the NeverEnding Hydrangia you can treat the soil so they will be either blue or pink, but they do need to have mulch protection for winter. Their claim to fame is that they were bred for Minnesota, but after I lost one the golf course Supt told me about the mulch trick and I haven't lost any since.
Good job on the wall Samson. It looks great!
Mom,
REALLY?!? Can they grow that much in just one year?
Mine are the same size as yours and they will be 4' x 4' by the end of summer full of flower heads. :-)
I've tried two different times to grow them. I am really good at growing things. :( What am I doing wrong? You'll have to give me some pointers. (Although, I do know that they LOVE water.)
Where can I get info on building and growing caterpillers? That's a great idea.
I have found they are water hogs, but I have a sand base and I would think that with a clay base it would be easier.
Jenny -
We took the caterpillar class through community ed. - found it in the little brochure they send out every season. The other option we've heard about in the past but never done is through the University of Minnesota. They do a lot of research regarding Monarch butterflies, and supposedly you can get all the stuff through them. I guess you'd just have to get on-line and go searching for that one.
Mom -
How much of water hogs? Should I be watering them daily?
Just watch them. If the leaves start to wilt give them a good drink of water. I would think with your clay base you wouldn't have to water them more than once a week. I have a sand base and lots of large root trees surrounding mine and had to water them thourghly every other day. Just watch the bushes, they will let you know. Become one with the bush ;-)
Post a Comment