Friday, May 22, 2009

Different

My husband is fantastic. I love him like crazy and I wouldn't trade him for the world. In so many ways, I believe that we were a match made in heaven. That being said, he and I are so bloomin' different!!! We both have this bend to our personalities that is just fundamentally different from one another. I crave simplicity and permanence. Deeply. Like...I lose sleep and break out in a cold sweat if I can't achieve them. To the same intense degree, my husband craves excitement and change. He gets what I like to call "itchy." About every two years he gets the overwhelming and unsuppressable urge to change some major part of his life. And if, for some reason, he can't change anything, he starts pacing like a caged wild animal! I spend much of my time thinking of relatively benign means of change, and pitching them up in front of him in an attempt to tame the beast before he can break out of his cage and do something truly crazy: "Here honey, paint this room! Plant this bush! Buy some new shoes! Wanna build a deck?" Somehow, he never likes my ideas as well.

Because of this fundamental difference, we frequently have the following conversation (it happens on a variety of subjects)...

Me: "Now just hang on. Let's think this through and make sure we've planned for every possible contingency that may or may not happen in the next 100 years before we make the decision."

Him: "Plan-schman! It's all good, let's go for it!"

Me: "But I'm not sure I'll like that choice 47 years from now."

Him: "Honey, we can always change it again later. Change is good."

Me: *Choke* "Excuse me, what did you say?!?"

Him: "I said, change is good. It makes life interesting. I like interesting. After all, life is an adventure."

Me: "No, change is not good. Boring is good. Change is evil, painful, terrifying, and, frankly, I don't like it at all. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I want to change anything right now. I just want to sit back and enjoy what we have for awhile...like maybe for the next 100 years or so."

Him: *Blank look* "Where's the fun and adventure in that?"

Me: *Whining* "Honey, don't you like what we have now?"

Him: "Well, yes...but what's around the next corner might be even better! Aren't you just dying to go see?"

Me: "What's around the next corner will more likely be much, much worse. And no, I don't wanna go see." *Pout*

Him: "Hm."

Me: "Hm."

I think we live in this perpetual condition that involves me being terrified of when his next "itchy" spell might strike, and him stifling a yawn! Somehow, the path down the middle that we've managed to walk is a rather pleasant one. Of course...that could have something to do with the fact that I'm temporarily getting my way! :-)

I suppose, if I have to admit it, we're good for each other even in this. If I didn't have him, I would likely bury myself in the dirt like a turnip, miss out on all sorts of new things that turn out to be more fun than terrifying, and never grow outside my comfort zone. And if he didn't have me, he'd run himself ragged, probably die an early death from doing something insanely crazy that sounded fun at the time, and miss out on all the beauties of stopping to smell the roses (for a long, long, long time).

I guess opposites really do attract! So...how about you? In what way are you and your spouse completely different?

11 comments:

Bruce Kratky said...

Kristy is five foot tall (I refer to her as 'Her Shortness') and I am six foot two inches. She weighs in around 100 pounds and I am, at my last weigh in, 237.8 lbs. She is gentle and sweet and I am a thug. I love coffee and she hates it. I love chocolate and she hates it. I love honey and she hates it. I hate tomatos and she loves them. I love camping and she needs hot and cold running water, so she hates camping. I love bike riding and she hates it. I love the couch and she loves to do tasks. I enjoy a good rain, even the rainy season. She hates it when it rains and must have sun to keep her battery charged. I love to drive and she can not stand it. She loves the beeches in Florida and I love the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. We both love to read, but, I love history and philosphy, she loves mysteries. She would hate my books and I would hate hers. She relates well to our three daughters. I...love them just as much as she does...can't understand 80% of what they think and do. I love hobbies and she loves to see me make money. I hate mowing the lawn and she loves seeing that I've done it. When we talk her word count is five times mine. Need I go any further?

You know, Delilah, we have saved each others lives dozens of times over the past 33 years. Whatever tensions we experience between ourselves has ulitmately been for God's glory and His purposes in the end. It don't get any better than this from our perspective. We just kiss, hold hands and snuggle every night as we wander off to sleep, which we both love to do together;-{)

Anonymous said...

Phil has a whole theory on this. We talk about it often. The theory goes something like this: You are attracted to your opposite based on a midpoint. Example: If you are like LOTS of change you are attracted to someone who REALLY does not like change. If you slightly like change then you are attracted to someone who may not mind change once in awhile. Maybe this makes sense maybe not. If I need to clarify, let me know. But the theory seems to apply more often than not! Dee, Do you agree? ;-)

We tend to hover closer to the midpoint and therefore don't often run into many conflicts regarding change. But somehow we still balance each other out when we need to!

Bert

Elizabeth said...

Bert -
Well, I know that theory sure fits over here! :-) It makes a lot of sense too. If marriage is about balance...then really unbalanced people marry other really unbalanced people! :-)

Karin said...

Loved the dialogue, Dee. So expanding the deck isn't quite enough for him, huh?

And yeah, I can see Bert's theory in my marriage too. Although, no, we both like staying home more than going out.

So how are we completely different? I like things done right; he likes them done! (Me doing it the "right" way often means it takes AGES if it ever even gets done!) And along the same lines, he's the big picture guy, I'm the details gal... Oh, and I LOVE the past, reminiscing about meaningful experiences, etc. He can't remember anything... and that doesn't bother him. : )

(I should probably make him watch our wedding video again...)

Elizabeth said...

Karin -
Actually, I think the deck is working! He's very intent right now. (Shhh...don't tell him...then he'll fight it) :-)

The McCutcheons said...

We are the perfect couple! :)

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH DELILAH,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

HEY DELILAH,
HOW OLD ARE YOU ANYWAY?

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! :-) I'm 33.

Anonymous said...

I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU WHEN I GROW UP!

Elizabeth said...

Ha! Well, see now, that just makes me wonder who in the world "anonymous" is! :-)