Seven years ago today, the earth got a little bit brighter. That's because seven years ago today, God took a little ray of sunshine, wrapped her up in a pretty pink blanket, and sent her into the world, where she came to rest contentedly in our arms. She was our second of three daughters, and she was perfect.
She really was perfect. She was, by far, the easiest baby out of the four we had. Even my labor with her was textbook perfect. It took less than five hours from start to finish, and didn't even cause me a lick of pain because she was kind enough to give me enough notice that I could request an epidural early on in the process. My husband and I literally talked and laughed together through her entire birth. I almost felt guilty that it was so easy. She was even punctual - my water broke the night of my due date, and she was born in the wee hours of the next morning. She was chubby-cheeked deliciousness with stunning blue eyes and white-blond hair.
She was our third child under the age of three, so it was mass chaos around our house, to say the least. She responded to all the racket with cherubic sweetness. She would sit in her bouncy seat, content as can be to watch the world go by while we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to keep our two toddlers out of mischief. She never cried, not even when she was hungry. There were times I would suddenly realize that she was an hour past due to be fed because I had been so busy. I would look over at her and she would beam me a mile-wide smile like, "No problem - just feed me whenever you have time." The same thing happened at nap time. I can't count the number of times that I realized she should have been put down for a nap ages ago, and would look over to see that she had fallen asleep all on her own without so much as a peep. What an angel! She was so good that I was almost a little concerned. Would she grow up to be the kind of person who could stick up for herself? Would she develop the assertiveness necessary to be successful in life?
Then she turned one.
Seemingly overnight, she developed a personality that was bigger than life. She was independent, feisty, cheeky, and a dare-devil to boot. I can't count the number of near-heart attacks I suffered in those early years as I looked out the kitchen window to witness another one of her gravity-defying stunts. I honestly wasn't sure she was going to make it to seven years old! To this day, she has two gears - full speed ahead...or unconscious. She is a bubbling, giggling, crazy-loud bundle of energy, and we love her to pieces!
Under all that crazy lies a very sweet, tender heart. She is very sensitive - both to criticism and to praise. All it takes is one encouraging word for her to light up like a Christmas tree. On the other hand, all it takes is one harsh word to reduce her to a pile of tears. She loves, loves, loves to help the people around her. She's been known to clean up her own room plus a sibling's room, without being asked, just for the pure satisfaction of hearing a "Wow, thanks!" from Mom.
Although she's easily frustrated and has a streak of bad temper in her, I've never seen her come up against anything she truly can't do. (Except maybe sit still!) She tries - screams and cries - tries again - stomps her feet and temporarily gives up - and then tries yet again. She refuses to accept that she can't do something, and she's proven to us time and time again that she's right. It may take multiple fits of frustration, but, by hankie, that girl's gonna get it done! I respect that about her. She gets it from her Dad. (The "get 'er done" attitude, not the temper. I would have to lay claim to the short-fuse genetics myself.)
Happy birthday, my sweet, crazy girl! We love you so very much! Our lives would be rather gray and boring without you around. We are so proud of the delightful young woman that you are becoming, and we are very, very proud to be able to call you our daughter!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday!!!
Love her zest for life!! Happy Birthday!
Bert
Post a Comment