Some of those ministries I've chosen strategically - they're the ones that utilize my gifts and my passions, and I care about them deeply. Other ministries I've stepped into simply because there has been a need - the fit hasn't been perfect, but I've been available.
Occassionally, however, I've been involved in a ministry that has just knocked my socks off. Yes, it fits my gifts and passions, but it's more than that. It's like the Holy Spirit takes every piece...every person...every moment...and ignites it with Holy fire. And all I can do is stand back and watch the spectacle. This week has been like that for me.
My heart always beats with late-elementary-aged kids, but this week has been something special. I've had the privilege of teaching 4th-6th grade kids how to study the Bible. I said "yes" to the job because it fits both my passions and my gifts. But, honestly, I felt wholly and completely inadequate from the start. So inadequate, actually, that I almost quit during a "freak out" moment months back. It's funny how that's so frequently the first sign that God is about to do something awesome. I stayed in the ring because God told me I couldn't quit - that I was the person He picked for the job. I'm so glad that I stuck around to see what He was up to. Here are a few snapshots that will burn in my heart forever...
*A young boy, bent low over his Bible, deeply absorbed in a chapter of Scripture that no one told him to read.
*A group of three girls, huddled together around a table, heads bowed, eyes closed, lifting each other up in prayer.
*The Holy Spirit, palpable, dwelling in a room filled with children seeking His face. It takes my breath away.
*A youth leader, transparent, who shares his past failings so that the kids he shepherds can learn from his mistakes.
*A crew of kids, learning to lead worship, who begin the week embarrassed and shy, and end it raising the roof for God.
*My own daughter, glowing, as she learns to use her gifts. When did she come into her own? My heart beats proud.
*A teenage boy who, quite against culture, has gotten over himself and decided to use his gifts fully for the Lord.
*A handful of young girls who get so fired up about studying their Bibles that they go home and start right away.
*Young hands serving others - learning to be selfless.
*A group of adult women with different gifts, different personalities, different ages, who God has brought together and pieced together to make an impact on His children. Parts of His Body fit into a whole. I'm so blessed to call them my sisters.
Everything I've seen this week has made me want to throw my fist in the air and shout "Yes! Yes, yes!!"
Actually...I did.
This afternoon.
Right in the middle of my kitchen.
Shhh, don't tell anyone.
4 comments:
I couldn't have said it better myself. God is great and greatly to be praised!!
I'm glad you said yes too - it's a wild ride - but SO worth it!!
Doing this ministry always inspires me to grow and humbles me at my failings to be as on fire as these kids are - it's good to be humbled. I look upward instead of inward.
Thank you friend for putting your thoughts into words. Feeling blessed beyond words!
Bert
Well done faithful daughter.
For longer than you can remember, I have been watching, praying as from the age of 3 He has been bending, shaping, owning each willing piece of your heart. I often marveled and wondered just what He was building in you. Where in His vast kingdom was hidden the need He was so busily shaping you to fill perfectly?
Was it far away in Romania? I selfishly hoped not.
Was it in the strong partnership you have forged with your husband? Even Satan’s best fear the power God has given you as a couple.
Was it in your children, each being shaped in their own direction within the safe, secure, and love filled home you have built?
It is certainly in His Church, His beloved bride. She and you have the dual purpose of being used today to free captives and being prepared for an eternity of service face to face with He who is our lover.
There is a fist in the air and a loud YES is this house too. Imagine the roar in heaven!
Dad
I think your Daddy-bias is showing!! But, thanks. :-)
Thank you, thank you, thank you faithful women.
Love, one mom loving seeing her son grow in faith.
Post a Comment