Sunday, January 30, 2011

Anchored

I am floating chaotic. Rising and plunging, swirling in current, heart in throat. My moorings severed, I am the disciple in the storm. I am at the waves' mercy, and I'm drowning.

Boulders surround me, unaffected. Their moorings secure, they stand firm against the squall. If I could just reach out, grab hold, maybe pull free of the maelstrom...but the waves push too fast. I recoil in fear - I'll be crushed. The rocks are not safe refuge.

I pull back in, protect the limbs as I'm tossed. Eyes burn and lungs begin to fill. All is lost. And then, finally, the cry comes - the one I've forgotten until it's almost too late. Choking anguish, "Lord, help..."

Suddenly, the anchor drops and strikes bottom. The compass spins to a stop and holds True North. And the Voice that calms the waves hovers in the mist: "I have called you by name, you are Mine." In the space of a single breath, the tempest stills and I'm home again; safe at harbor.


2 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

E,

Did you write this? It's very good. How long have you been interested in poetry? I have a daughter who LOVES to write stories and poetry. I can see her having a poetry blog when she is older.

Elizabeth said...

Jenny -

Yes, I did - thanks! I've been writing poetry since I was a teenager. How fun that your daughter has that interest! Encourage her to write lots of it now. In my opinion, young people are capable of writing awesome poetry - sometimes even better than adults!