Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Perspective

Through the process of listing God's gifts in my life, I am reminded of a simple but profound truth: gratitude is a matter of perspective. Feeling blessed is a choice. I can choose to see the beautiful, cherish the lovely, embrace the now...or I can choose to see the ugly, shun the uncomfortable, and run for greener pastures.

When I'm standing at the ironing board, smoothing wrinkles, what does my heart perceive? The varicose vein throbbing in my left leg, the huge pile that never seems to go away, and the boredom I attempt to shake off with every breath?

Or do I see the man? The wonderful, precious, hard-working man whose presence in my life is made manifest by that pile of wrinkly shirts?

Thank You, Lord.

When I'm walking to the laundry room to throw yet one more pair of "didn't-quite-make-it-to-the-toilet-on-time" undies into the washing machine, what thought settles in my mind?

"I can't believe they're still doing this!"
"Why is it so hard to get their tushies into the bathroom?"
"If I have to see poop one more time in my life, I'm going to scream!...Again!"

Or does my mind rest on the children? The four beautiful, strong, joyful, grace-given children (with very healthy digestive systems).

Thank You, Lord.

And when perspective cuts a little deeper, what is my choice then? When I look in the mirror and see nothing worth looking at, do I compare, complain, and cry? Or do I rest in the blessing that God sees differently?

Listen, O daughter,
Consider and incline your ear;
Forget your own people also,
and your father's house;
So the King will greatly desire your beauty.
~Psalm 45:10-11

To God, beauty is a matter of perspective. When my heart desires Him alone, He sees beauty.

Thank You, Lord.

How about when I look at who I am and what I have accomplished, and come to the conclusion that it isn't that great? When I reach the realization I haven't done anything that someone else hasn't done before (a hundred times better), and I have to wrestle with a word that I loathe...ordinary...what is my response? Anger at God for not making me more amazing? Pull-myself-up-by-the-bootstraps determination to try a little harder and be a little better? Jealousy and bitterness toward others who leave me in the dust?

Or do I gratefully return to the truth that, again, to God, value is a matter of perspective.

But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be?
~I Corinthians 12:18-19

If I did not exist, one small facet of the brilliant diamond that reflects God's glory would be missing, and the world would miss seeing a small piece of who God is. So it is with all of us. The body of Christ is God's precious jewel.

Thank You, Lord.

When my world is crazy, overwhelming, frightening and painful, do I thank Him for the chance to depend more deeply on Him? Do I thank Him that He is all-sufficient?

Thank You, Lord.

When my world slows down...to a crawl...and things are boring, mudane, monotonous and stifling, do I thank Him for creating a sanctuary in time, completely free of distraction, during which I can draw closer to Him and soak in His presence?

Thank You, Lord.

Yes, gratitude is a matter of perspective. Sometimes it flows easily. And other times, I need to lean in and look just a little more closely...


















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dee - I needed that today! I am blessed to call you friend!
Bert

Elizabeth said...

Ditto, Bert! :-)

The McCutcheons said...

Stop the mushy stuff, girls! :)

Dee, do you use a macro lens? Those are really close up. I love them!

Elizabeth said...

No, I wish I had one. This camera does pretty well with close-ups though, as long as I can get the focus right. Speaking of pictures, I'm thinking you and Monica should come take pictures of our family sometime like the ones on your blog! :-) Those are fantastic, and to hire a professional photographer for that kind of outing is NOT cheap!!

The McCutcheons said...

Those are very kind words, Dee! I know you have great taste so....it means even more. :) I think that would be fun. I'll chat with my fellow photo gal. (Monica is actually taking photos for the FCA dinner for JD. She LOVES doing stuff like that for free.) We LOVE having free fun! :) Although, we probably would take photos of your kids faces. Are you OK with that? ;-)

the j-crew said...

Hey Jenny as long as you and Monica are in the neighborhood shooting Delilah's family maybe you could do the JCrew? :)

The McCutcheons said...

I cannot help but giggle at the phrase, "neighborhood shooting". Are you sure you want us to come and "shoot" in your neighborhood? ;-)

Elizabeth said...

Jenny, just as long as you don't do a drive-by shooting...that may turn out a little blurry...(har, har, har)

You and Monica should go into business - I'm hearing "high demand" here!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I jsut want to say again how much I love you! What a blessing you are!
Dixie

Elizabeth said...

I love you too!! And you're rather a blessing yourself! :-)