Friday, November 13, 2009

Just Plain Pretty

I have an intense love of doilies...and lace...and old embroidered handkerchiefs... I'm drawn by the feeling of the fabric, the intricate designs, and the romantic, old-fashioned appearance they lend. These beautiful creations punctuate nearly every room in my home. (My husband won't let me put any in our son's room, however. Party pooper.)

There's the doily I bought on my first wedding anniversary in the Smoky Mountains...



the table runner at Target that grabbed little 'ol unsuspecting me and would not let go...



the heirloom handkerchief tucked into a scrapbook that my mother-in-law gave me when I married her son...



the Amish treasure I found in one of my favorite shops...



the beauty I brought back all the way from Romania...


...and many more.

Now knowing my unfailing soft spot for these kinds of things, you can imagine my helplessness when I came upon these beauties during an antique shopping adventure with my mom this past summer...





Aren't they gorgeous?! I've always had a thing for snowflakes too, so when I saw a ten-pack of these babies for cheap, I about choked! I would have bought more, but there was only one lonely package on the shelf. I have been just dying to use these things in my home, but...snowflakes in July? That wasn't going to work. I had to stash them in a closet and bide my time until NOW!! I decided to hang them from the light in my dining room. That way we'll have "White Christmas" dinners whether it's snowing outside or not!

7 comments:

Ebby Ray said...

I am going to go to my garage tomorrow and see if I can find a gift for you. Oh I so hope I can find it.

Elizabeth said...

Ooo...that sounds fun! :-)

Ebby Ray said...

I found it!!!! I am so excited. I hope you like it. I will try to find you sometime over the weekend.

The McCutcheons said...

My mom made each of us girls one before she knew she was dying. It's VERY special and tucked away. I also have one from my great aunt that I got when she died.

Dee, they are all beautiful! I am just shocked that you are already decorating for CHRISTMAS???

Elizabeth said...

I haven't actually decorated for Christmas yet (that's the weekend after Thanksgiving), but I figure the snowflakes are more winter than Christmas, so I decided I could get away with it. ;-)

Karin said...

So pretty! Reminded me of a doily my mom used to have on a side table under a lamp. It was BIG and had two concentric circles of little... flaps that were supposed to stand up, like a cat's ear. After a while, they would start to flop down and one of my favorite chores was when I had to give each flap a gentle tug to make it stand upright again. Nice memories...

P.S. We stopped by someone's house yesterday who had all sorts of Christmas decorations up, inside and out. My 6 year old was so confused. "Why did they already decorate for Christmas?!? ... It's not even Thanksgiving yet!!!" and on and on. Jenny, I may need your explanations on this one -- she is still aghast despite what i told her... : )

Missy Eagen said...

MY MIL has made doilies for years and for all occasions and for all her children. Each child has a long doily that has each of her daughters names in them, she moved to her grandchildren and they all have one Rick (being the only boy) wasn't to keen on this when he first had his own bachelor pad so my MIL being the good sport she is made Rick's first one to say his name, and his second one to say PORSCHE. :)
PS: I have some bells you would love, they don't go on my tree and wish I had more of an appreciation for them.