Then this morning, I went outside the front door to shake out some rugs, and this huge, beautiful butterfly (moth?) was sitting in the woodchips by our front porch. She may not look impressive in the pictures, but when her wings were spread, she was as large as my entire hand! My neighbor called her a moth on steroids! She didn't look injured, but she wasn't at all interested in flying, and the wind seemed to throw her off-balance. Hopefully she'll be all right.
We just got back from a fantastic camping trip with our best buds. We saw some great wildlife there as well - A big turtle, a porcupine, a fawn, a snake (thankfully not too close to me!!!), and 1,967, 435 ticks. Yep, ticks. A good time was had by all!! :-) As far as we know, we didn't bring any home with us! If ever I wished that my husband were OK with photos on this blog, it's now. I have fantastic pictures of our weekend together - fabulous memories. *Sigh.* Oh well. If my life were a video, and it were played back, these folks would be in absolutely all of the best scenes. They're a part of all my favorite memories. Thanks for the laughter, the memories, and the friendship, guys. We love you!
8 comments:
D
You have yourself a beautiful Cecropia Moth...google it for more info- they are very interesting. We were also camping this weekend and did not run into the ticks, but perhaps the mosquitoes from our campground air dropped them in your aresa- there were swarms of skeeters in every shadow.
J-
The mosquitoes didn't do an air drop...they stayed around for the visit as well! The bugs were pretty bad. It was rough for my husband who is allergic to pretty much any type of insect venom - he got big welts on his arms from the mosquito bites, and half his hand swelled up from a horsefly bite. Fortunately, the bees never got him...that one requires an epi-pen! Amazingly, he was still smiling at the end of the trip! :-)
Post your photos and black out your faces. PhotoShop is a great program! We are glad that you had such a wonderful time.
Jenny -
Hmm...methinks that without the faces, they just might not be such great photos! :-)
Dee-
We had great fun with you guys! Eventually when our kids stop napping and can hike on thier own we can join you all for more of the adventures! We love hanging out with you all - friends are the family you get to pick - AWESOME!
We didn't bring any ticks home either - thank goodness!
Bert
Bert -
I forgot to tell you, we may have not brought home any ticks, but we did manage to bring home one huge, nasty spider! It fell out of Samson's underwear and onto my shirt when I was unpacking...his CLEAN underwear! (Hate to think about what might have been hiding in the dirty ones...) The kids came running into the room when I shrieked! :-)
How did you get that close to the bird? Amazing. I enjoy watching the finches in my backyard from my neighbors birdfeeder. I get all the benefit of beauty and none of the work!
J-
I wasn't that close - it came right up to the door, but I was halfway across the kitchen. We have this fantastic new toy that's a videocamera and camera in one - the thing takes great pictures! I'm quickly falling in love! :-)
Post a Comment