Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Gift of Today

"Today is a great day...a gift from God."

I found these words in my e-mail inbox this morning. There's nothing extraordinary about them at first glance - they compose a true and simple statement. But the person who wrote those words is quite extraordinary. She is a dear friend. She is also a woman who is currently facing re-current cancer.


"Today is a great day...a gift from God."


I told you she was extraordinary.

One of the benefits of suffering is that God uses it to show us a new perspective, if we'll let Him. Joy in suffering is a wonderful, profound work of the Holy Spirit. I am so proud of my friend. I am also completely humbled by her - laid low and bare. How does my heart hold this day? This single day will pass and cannot be reclaimed. Do I declare it great? A gift from God? Or, rather - because I don't sense an imminent threat to my health and well-being, possibly even my life - am I less grateful?

I have to choke out an honest reply...yes, I am. I am less grateful. Less than I should be, less than God deserves.

This life, this day, is for His glory. My friend's words have forced me to take a hard look at my own heart, and I have found it dusty, complacent and far, far too comfortable. God chose to wake me up this morning and breathe another day's breath into my lungs. This day is full of His purpose and His promises. I want to see it for the blessing that it is; to notice the beauty; to say with my friend,


"Today is a great day...a gift from God!"










1 comment:

Ima said...

A great reminder, it helps to put your daily activities into perspective. I have a postnote from God that was given to me by a friend that I have at my desk. It reads -

Prayer: Don't give God instructions, just report for duty!

It gives one a much more anticipatory approach to the day. I love watching for what God is going to do next. Sometimes He even lets me be part of the fun!